Match Review Swansea vs Watford

Discussion in 'Match Day' started by Oldtimejack, 20 Oct 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Oldtimejack

Oldtimejack
    Expand Collapse
    Swan

Not sure if it's too early for this thread, but might as well get started (unless I'm not allowed!).

Match kicks off Saturday 15:00 GMT at the Liberty, and it's fair to say it's our biggest match of the season so far.

A win here gets us on track and accepting of the fact that we've just gone through a horror run against some of the best teams in the league. It's absolutely crucial. A draw is barely passable, a loss ... let's not even go there.

Watford typically line-up in a 3-5-2 formation, and this weekend they would be expected to line-up as follows:
    ---------------- Gomes
    -------- Britos Kaboul Prodl
    Amrabat -------------------- Holebas
    ---------- Behrami Capoue
    ---------------- Pereyra
    ---------- Success Deeney

They won 1-0 at Boro thanks to a Jose Holebas goal in an otherwise poor game.

I'm expecting Bradley to go with a fairly similar line-up to the weekend, he'll probably give most of the players a chance to impress him at home after a 3-2 defeat away to an Arsenal side who won 6-0 overnight in the Champions League. However, I'm expecting Borja to come into the lineup to deal with Watford's physical back 3, which potentially means Sigs might go wide in place of Routledge?

-------------- Fabianski
    Naughton Fernandez Amat Taylor
    --------- Cork Britton Fer
    ---- Barrow ---------- Sigurdsson
    ---------------- Borja

We need to keep width as Watford generally don't cope well with attacks coming from wide - they are typically much better at handling play through the centre of the park with their 3 big centre halves and Behrami + Capoue screening as well. Get the ball out to Barrow, let him cause havoc, whip them in to Borja.

Optimistically tipping 2-0 Swansea, with goals for Borja and Sigurdsson.
    Amat MOTM in a dominant display against Deeney who is having another good season so far.

Let's go Swans!!

megamoan likes this.
  2. R.M.J

R.M.J
    Expand Collapse
    Swan Legend

Fab
    Nauts. VDH. Amat. Kingsley
    Cork
    Barrow. Leon. Fer
    Gylfi
    Borja

3. Muttley

Muttley
    Expand Collapse
    VIP Swan

For me it's:

------------------------- Fab -------------------------

Rangel ----- vdHoorn --- Amat ------Kingsley

---------- Leon ------------------ Fer ----------------

Mo ------------------ Siggy ------------------- Jeff

---------------------- Borja -------------------------

Subs: Nordfeldt, Fede, Naughton, Fulton, Cork, Routs, Llorente

4. Nom Nom

Nom Nom
    Expand Collapse
    VIP Swan

I read some comments from Bob's previous assistant manager at le havre who said that bob seldom looked to the youth in the club preferring to stick with experience rather than blood younger players. I must say that's the first negative comments I've heard said about Bob by any of his previous colleagues!

So I do not expect to see Fulton, Kingsley or macburnie

megamoan likes this.
  5. IanABS94

IanABS94
    Expand Collapse

Read that as well; but maybe La Havre's youth is shit. Fulton, McBurnie & Kingsley are all viable players in with a shout. I'd think it more along the lines of Alex Samuel, Owain Jones, Dan James, Joe Rodon etc who we wouldn't be seeing called up.

Who knows though as he didn't play Fulton, Kingsley or McBurnie at Arsenal.

6. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

This is a must win match for me. Having failed to acquire points during the recent tough run of fixtures, we now need to start harvesting points.

Mithrandir and IanABS94 like this.
  7. ExpatJack

ExpatJack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

He talks sense.

Borini and Mithrandir like this.
  8. Oldtimejack

Oldtimejack
    Expand Collapse
    Swan

Personally I can't see that midfield 3 working. Siggy won't track back much, nor should he have to, and Fer is far too lazy to do enough defensive work. That would leave Leon on his own which would be problematic.

I think if Leon plays, he needs a defensive helper with him i.e. Cork.

Kingsley and VDH over Taylor and Fernandez would probably be my picks too, I was just going with what I think Bob will pick in my first post.

9. Borini

Borini
    Expand Collapse

I am starting to like brad bobley .....he talks sense....I just wish he could lose that God darn Yankee voice.

10. IanABS94

IanABS94
    Expand Collapse

Going for a 2-1 win tomorrow. I can feel it!

Borja with a brace!

11. Clucasade

Clucasade
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

We should play Mo and Jeff to tear apart that back 3.

12. Mithrandir

Mithrandir
    Expand Collapse
    Istari Swan

Jeff won't start practicing until next week unfortunately.

13. Clucasade

Clucasade
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Damn, I thought I saw he'd be available for the next match. Barrow and Routs in the wings and Siggy and Borja waiting for the killer through ball/cross?

Mithrandir likes this.
  14. IanABS94

IanABS94
    Expand Collapse

Kingsley behind Routledge because he'll overlap Routledge and get some real crosses into the box.

Mithrandir and Clucasade like this.
  15. Mithrandir

Mithrandir
    Expand Collapse
    Istari Swan

I think I would go with a back 4 of Naughton, VdH, Amat, and Kingsley. Then for me, the question is the midfield pairing. Is it Leon and Fer, Leon and Cork, or Cork and Fer?

IanABS94 likes this.
  16. IanABS94

IanABS94
    Expand Collapse

Definitely that back four. I think we should be going for Leon and Cork because Leon will help break up Watford attacks and Cork is industrious getting back. Fer leaves some to be desired when it comes to defensive duties so lets have those two sitting infront of that defence and let the Barrow, Routledge, Siggy & Borja do their job to attack.

Mithrandir likes this.
  17. Ivoralljack

Ivoralljack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

For me, Leon has to start. He is the one that lubricates our play, gives it fluency and rhythm. We need a strong start to push them back, create doubt and give us confidence. I mean, how good would it be to see us get a couple of goals in front so we can relax and play our football without fear.

I think a win will do wonders for the team and no matter if Leon only plays for 60 minutes so long as we capitalise on his good work when he's on the pitch. Fresh legs in Fer or Cork or even Fulton should give us added impetus at that stage. Agree that we need Kingsley to provide extra width and crosses for Baston and or Llorente to feed off, whilst we will definitely need VdH to handle strong man Deeney who's good in the air and powerful on the ball. Fernandez won't relish trying to deal with him!

Think BB will have us up for this and it's a game we can win.

Neveroffsideref and Mithrandir like this.
  18. Mithrandir

Mithrandir
    Expand Collapse
    Istari Swan

It's a game we need to win. I understand this match will be trickier than many of us thought it would be at the start of the season, but after the start we've had, and with Everton and United coming up quickly, this is simply a match we need to claim 3 points from. These next 2 matches might be season defining. If we can win both, or even beat Watford and draw Stoke, I think we can reasonably start looking up the table. If we somehow lose both I think we'll be going down.

19. Septic

Septic
    Expand Collapse
    Cygnet

Like this but sub Fer for Cork

20. Boundy Still Lurks

Boundy Still Lurks
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

Not sure about us going down ,imo we'll have a better picture nearer Christmas , as along as those around us keep slipping up we'll still have some time to turn it around .