Our Academy

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by refugee, 29 Apr 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. refugee

refugee
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

i remember being taken to task for suggesting this was a waste of good money.

Looking at the bench yesterday and seeing Dyer,Routledge and Rangel all there makes me reassess and say what a fook girl abject chronic spunking of money.

Its produced ,apparently ,nobody seen good enough to move up . Connor Roberts has been kept out by the often pitiful Naughton .

It's truly sickening to see our funds being so mismanaged

2. Rambler27

Rambler27
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Whilst I agree with this I don't agree with you point about the Academy. I;ve watched a few if their games online this season and enjoyed them. I don't think Connor, James or Mcburnie have let is down when in the first team. The problem is our managers suffer from the PL syndromw where managers prefer to rely on experienced players than have the courage to give younger potentially better players the chance

MVSwan likes this.
  3. Boundy Still Lurks

Boundy Still Lurks
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

There's a big jump from playing in any Clubs academy to playing in the PL ,look at Utds Academy ,they're being relegated from Div 1 this season , , will we ever see the likes of Fergies home grown talent play in the numbers they did ever again. We have imo players who may make the step up but due to the merry go round of managers we haven't been in a position to enable the "new" manager to take a chance. Most I would imagine have a big bonus clause to keep us up , not to develop kids

4. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Don't conflate the lack of good judgement with academy value. The fact that only CC has the balls to bring these players into his squad for practice and then have Roberts start is a testament to lack of competence of the people that are acting as DoF etc for the first team squad. We have an academy that has developed season after season, gone from strength to strength, and is beating the teams that take the field against them.

Ladygargar likes this.
  5. colin-swansea

colin-swansea
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Our academy is not a light switch where it can be switched on and expect to have talented young professionals capable of competing for a place in a PL team, it takes time, plenty of cash and luck.

Any Swans fan who is aware of the quality of the club's youth structure from the start of the PL years will be aware of the occasional player like Joey and Ben to have made the breakthrough to first team duty but by and large the vast majority who are still playing in the football pyramid are earning a living from the level of league 1 and lower.

There are plenty of signs however that this trend is changing as the likes of McBurnie, James, Maric and Roberts are proving, and although success and promise in the younger groups is not totally guaranteed to flow into the club's first team, it is still refreshing to see both the U18's and 23's competing and beating established academy teams from the PL.

Sadly, patience is not a commodity most football fans possess but for a club like the Swans who decide to go down the academy pathway, success is not instant.

rhys and Ladygargar like this.
  6. refugee

refugee
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Thank you for the replies. I don't agree but there we go.

7. refugee

refugee
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Thanks for the responses making reasoned responses in fairness but I disagree and stand by every word.

We have sourced appalling players to come into the club and no academy player has come in and truly become a first choice starter although Roberts should be

8. Ivoralljack

Ivoralljack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Now is not a good time to blood young players, Roberts excepted as he's already shown promise at the top level. But, should we survive, it would be good to see the likes of Dan James and George Byers introduced to the squad next season along with Oli. Of course, should we be relegated then it's a no brainer that we should be looking very hard at those who could cut it at the lower Championship level.

Our young players must have incentive to improve and progress to the first team squad otherwise what's the point of even having an Academy with it's attendant expense?

Ladygargar likes this.
  9. refugee

refugee
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Surely the point of the academy is to source the best talent and bring it through

10. Rambler27

Rambler27
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

To me the Academy has two functions. (1) To produce the players to make it in to the first team which will be a minority
    (2) To give players the possibility to have a career in football albeit at a lower level. Small transfer fees for these players will help towards the funding of the academy..
    We must give youngsters game time , even at this stage of the season, in the first team otherwise they will not develop further, Can anyone say that Byers for example would not have performed better against Chelsea than Ki or King.

Yankee_Jack likes this.
  11. Ivoralljack

Ivoralljack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

I disagree that we should be playing new youngsters at this particular stage of the season. The remaining games will be physical and frenetic and we need experienced heads to see us through.

I agree about Byers (King did have a 'mare and Ki disappeared) but Chelsea are a footballing team rather than cloggers and he'd have had space to play. Bournemouth might be an option but Hughes will have Soton spitting blood and feathers to get at us and we know all about Stoke. Not a good environment for a youngster to find his feet.

I like Byers a lot, along with Dan James, and have called for their inclusion on previous occasions and agree that they need game time to aid their development. But not with our Premier League future at stake. If the occasion gets to them and they flop resulting in our relegation, it could set them back badly for some time to come.

12. Rambler27

Rambler27
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

I take your pont about Byers but does Ki and indeed Carroll for that matter have the dog in him for the upcoming games. Ki had it last season but has been pointed out he had Leon with him.

13. Ivoralljack

Ivoralljack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

We could do a lot worse than play Leon for 60 minutes in these games. We need continuity of possession and rhythm to our play, which Leon provides. He's also a ball thief par excellence and his experience would be more than useful. I'd certainly have him in the squad if he's fit.

Neveroffsideref and Ladygargar like this.
  14. Boundy Still Lurks

Boundy Still Lurks
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

with all of the comments or a few ?

15. Belgianwaffle

Belgianwaffle
    Expand Collapse
    Super Swan

Jack evans has had a great season in a role like Leons for U23's. Not saying put him in for last few games but certainly would give him some chances early into pre/next season.

James, McB, Maric, Byers, Cabango, Garrick, all can play a role for us in the future I believe. Winning mentality, mostly attacking minded, inspired by Roberts, and young.

if there was ever a time to seriously have a clean out of playing staff its now. so many ending contracts, aging players, no manager(!) and uncertain future ahead

Now we have to stick with our 1st's and keep fingers crossed. Fenrandez back will help, and i think Narsingh can play a role; Scare the defence, especially slow stoke, maybe snatch a goal, could be an unlikely hero, i have more faith in him causing an upset then routs or dyer at this stage...
    I would say the same with Sanchez, yes he's been shit but if we are losing or not creating anything in last 15 of must game then why not, clearly he has some magic hidden in those boots somewhere...

16. Ivoralljack

Ivoralljack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Stoke are not that slow. If they managed to keep a clean sheet against pacey Liverpool, you'd expect it to be far easier against us. Pieters, for instance, did a job on Salah and not many can claim that this season.

Depending on circumstance, maybe a draw will suit us by the time we play them. But Lambert is a canny manager who'll definitely be looking for three points from us. They have momentum right now and they certainly have some players who can hurt us. It depends where CC pitches his tactics. If he plans to contain then I think we'll lose, particularly if Stoke score first. Our best chance is to get the first goal, which will force them to open up and attack when we can hit them on the counter. But are we capable of getting that first goal?

17. refugee

refugee
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

All ,boundy,all. It's all about opinions and I see no offensive ones
    Now ....do ya think I'm sexy

18. Boundy Still Lurks

Boundy Still Lurks
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I agree so what are your opinions ?

19. waynekerr55

waynekerr55
    Expand Collapse
    Super Swan

It's a good point Mr Fugee. One thing is for certain, we need to stop obsessing about results in a tin pot u23 league and concentrate on developing individual players who can step up. For the investment we should be getting a first teamer every 3 years and a squad player every 2

IanABS94 likes this.
  20. refugee

refugee
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

WAyne.
    We ve got no players really who have made the step up into an established premier league player .

The plan was to develop players ,local talent, who could be future stars ,instead of us ,being a poor city and modest club having to buy in top quality players .

On second thoughts, it's been a disgusting waste of money,another which ,no doubt,Jenkins saw as a great legacy. Well,it ain't Huw so go fuck yourself