Leon Britton Rumours

Discussion in 'Swansea City' started by Jacks Away, 7 Jul 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jacks Away

Jacks Away
    Expand Collapse
    Inmate 2

Leon Britton rumoured to be interested in move to MLS,after being told by Monk he would be a fringe player this season,the MLS transfer window opens today and reports say some MLS clubs have been in touch,there is also interest from the Championship but Britton prefers the thought of playing out his career in the States,he still has 2 years left on his current contract with the Swans.

Dilligaf likes this.
  2. Dilligaf

Dilligaf
    Expand Collapse
    Bad Cop

Wouldn't blame him one bit, he deserves a final payday and he's seen that after a long service we didn't award Tate with a testimonial after all

Plasticman, OrangeSwan and SA9JACK like this.
  3. Jacks Away

Jacks Away
    Expand Collapse
    Inmate 2

Too true,shame to see him go,I've been a great admirer of his since he joined us in our dark ages,I wasn't happy we let him go to Sheffield Utd a few years back either, great servant to this club and a nice lad too.Good Luck Leon.

smudger likes this.
  4. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Tate had the longest testimonial in football history.
    Just saying like - I don't begrudge him a penny.

Dilligaf likes this.
  5. OrangeSwan

OrangeSwan
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

What's the deal with testimonials? I don't get the concept - it feels like a meaningless gesture to me.

6. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

It's a hangover from the days when footballers weren't paid in gold bullion.

A reward for loyalty that would set them up for life after retiring from football.

OrangeSwan likes this.
  7. Yankee_Jack

Yankee_Jack
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

I'm not sure if it would work, or whether Leon would be worked at the appropriate level, but if he wanted to make a move a loan arrangement would probably be in the club's best interest. This way we retain his rights with respect to the Prem and European competitions, Leon gets to play, and we have the right to recall if needed.

8. jakarmi

jakarmi
    Expand Collapse
    Swan

Be gutted if he does go tbh. As well as knowing our system and club inside out i think he will play more games than us fans think.
    We don't have a lot of options in DM role. If for example Cork gets injured and KI/Shelvey out for suspension or other reason then it only leaves us Fulton to call upon. To aim for where we finished last season we need to keep all our best players, and that includes Leon. Would rather Fulton go out on loan for a season.

Yankee_Jack likes this.
  9. Boundy Still Lurks

Boundy Still Lurks
    Expand Collapse
    Super Moderator

I can't disagree but Leon will be the one to decide and he looks like unlikely to want to be a "standby" player and nor should he

10. jakarmi

jakarmi
    Expand Collapse
    Swan

I read a report, (on twitter i think by Gareth Vincent), where it said that Leon would bide his time before making any decision. Hope this is accurate as i honestly think he'll be playing a big part early on in the season. He'll either start of be the 1st midfielder off the bench if something happens to Cork ,Gylfi, Ki or Shelvey, or of course if they're not performing - that is if they are the 4 that start. A good dilemma to have, and i dont envy Garry trying to keep them all happy.

11. Jacks Away

Jacks Away
    Expand Collapse
    Inmate 2

Just read Leon Britton wants to stay in SA1 and fight for his place,he says "i can't believe I'm heading for the exit door of the liberty" and goes on "football can change so quick,I didn't see any of this coming,I have made Swansea my home and really want to stay,I'm 32 now and I don't want to spend the rest of my career watching from the stands" he also says "im prepared to move on if needs be and I have had talks with MLS but I would like to stay and fight for my place,I love Everything that is Swansea"...........
    Hope he gets his chance,he's a true Jack.

12. Borini

Borini
    Expand Collapse

it would be a sad day for us if he left...as good as cork is I think Leon is a better player.

Cornellyjack likes this.
  13. Jacks Away

Jacks Away
    Expand Collapse
    Inmate 2

I think there is still a place for him with us,he has different abilities to the rest of our midfield,and he loves the club and always gives 100%.

Cornellyjack likes this.
  14. Rambler27

Rambler27
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

I think Leon WAS better than Cork but I don't think he is now. As for Fulton rather than being sent out on loan I would rather see him given game time off the bench so that when he is needed and I expect he will be at some stage he can step up to the mark.

15. JACKFLASH

JACKFLASH
    Expand Collapse
    Patient 2

I agree J Away, I think it's a case of horses for courses,Leon plays a more defensive role whereas Cork leans a little more towards attacking football and would be nice to have both options available when needed against various oppositions.

16. Jacks Away

Jacks Away
    Expand Collapse
    Inmate 2

That's exactly my point,he is a good different option with an enormous will to give his all,not one to let us down.

Cornellyjack likes this.
  17. Victoria Swan

Victoria Swan
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

Seems amazing to me that we now have so much quality in the squad that Leon Britton can't even make the bench most of the time! The other posts above seem to have forgotten Grimes as another competitor for Leon in midfield. But he's such a JB that it is hard to believe he doesn't have a long future at the club ... but it looks like it's on the coaching side. That being the said, a couple of years in MLS would make him a better coach after exposure to some of the north American ways of doing things (e.g. more emphasis on technical aspects of fitness training - although a lot of that is already making it into Prem League sides) Sad to see him go for the next couple of years if he does, but happy 'cos of what it says about strength and depth of our squad.

18. GiantJuicyPeach

GiantJuicyPeach
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

What's up with that? Why didn't we give Tate a testimonial? It doesn't sit right with me for all his years of service with us.

Dilligaf and Neveroffsideref like this.
  19. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

He's been on Premiership wages for years as a reward - better than any one-off testimonial. Not that I begrudge the magnificent ginger ninja a penny or a chance for Jacks to show their appreciation.

20. Hugh Jampton

Hugh Jampton
    Expand Collapse
    Jack Bastard

I think the crux of the matter is that he's not currently thought of as even a standby player at the moment.
    Bonkers if true.

JACKFLASH and Boundy Still Lurks like this.